RELEASE: In New Ad, Rep. Slotkin Contrasts with Tom Barrett on Michigan Jobs and Economic Security
October 14, 2022
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Sean Casey, [email protected]
In New Ad, Rep. Slotkin Contrasts with Tom Barrett on Michigan Jobs and Economic Security
Slotkin explains she is “Team USA over Team China” while Barrett voted five times to block a new GM auto factory in Lansing and opposes the CHIPS Act, keeping supply chains in China
LANSING, Mich.— Today, U.S. Representative Elissa Slotkin began airing her eighth ad of the cycle, “Decision,” on broadcast and cable outlets in the 7th congressional district. The spot contrasts her support for Michigan auto manufacturing with Tom Barrett’s continued opposition to incentivizing development, including a new GM plant and 5,000 good-paying jobs.
“Let me tell you a story about Michigan manufacturing,” Slotkin says. “We have powered this country for a hundred years—but now we face a choice. Do we want to build the next generation of cars in Michigan, or are we OK with them going out of state or overseas?”
Slotkin continues: “If Tom Barrett got his way, we’d have no GM battery plant; no thousands of jobs that come with it; and there’d be zero chips made in America.”
As the ad notes, Barrett’s five votes against the bipartisan GM deal were votes against $7 billion in investment and 5,000 jobs—including nearly 2,000 jobs at the new GM battery plant in Delta Township, part of his own district. He was one of only two senators, both Republican, to oppose the deal.
“Tom Barrett says he doesn’t want to pick sides,” Slotkin says in closing. “If it’s Team USA over Team China, it’s a no-brainer.”
Barrett’s anti-job stance is sharply different from Slotkin’s record in Congress. Slotkin has fought to defend and expand Michigan’s middle class and believes the next generation of auto jobs and manufacturing plants should be in Michigan, not out of state or overseas. She’s made securing American supply chains and rebuilding domestic manufacturing a top priority during her time in Congress.
To do that, Slotkin co-chaired the Defense Supply Chains Taskforce with Rep. Mike Gallagher (R-WI) to look at, among other things, semiconductor chips, and she pushed Democratic leadership to pass the CHIPS Act. Her focus on domestic manufacturing stems from her district’s struggles with shortages and supply chain problems during the COVID-19 pandemic.
“Decision” is Rep. Slotkin’s eighth ad of the cycle.
- Her first ad, “Work With Us,” highlights her national security background and her belief that our country is strongest when the American people work together.
- Her second ad, “Easier,” spotlights her bipartisan push to reduce the price of prescription drugs, including the successful passage of Slotkin’s Real-Time Benefits Act, which was signed into law under President Trump.
- Her third ad, “Five Times,“ describes the consequences of Barrett’s five votes against the GM deal.
- Her fourth ad, “Jeff,” discusses how Barrett’s five votes hurt Michigan auto workers.
- Her fifth ad, “Keep Fighting,” explains how her mother’s fight with cancer motivates Slotkin’s fight in Congress.
- Her sixth ad, “Risk,” underscores Barrett’s support for a ban on all abortions.
- And her seventh ad, “Offensive,” compares how Slotkin lowered the cost of prescription drugs while Barrett sided with Big Pharma.